Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Story of How We Met.



(Above: Riley and his cousin Lily. She is my youngest brother Blanton's dog.)



I thought I would introduce Riley since he will be mentioned often. Here goes from the beginning...


I adopted Riley three and half years ago. I had been waiting for years to be able to get a dog. The entire summer before I got him I had been researching what would be the best breed for me. I would spend hours on the internet, reading books, and checking the paper. I had decided on either a pomeranian or a maltese. The week I moved into the apartment that allowed pets I decided to visit the animal shelter in Starkville just to check it out. I walked through the lines of cages and stopped in front of one full of puppies. As soon as I stopped, there was a wall of wild paws, noses, and tongues asking to be taken home. I was especially taken with one that looked like a german shepherd. He was so cute and fluffy. (I love German Shepherds and have wanted one for as long as I can remember.) One of the guys who worked there came in and asked me if I wanted to hold one. I was about to tell him I wanted the German Shepherd puppy when I saw two puppies all the way in the back of the kennel not even bothering to stand up much less follow the herd. I pointed to dirty white baby with an obvious eye problem. When I took him from the guy, I felt his head snuggle into my neck. He let out a little sigh, and I knew I couldn't let him go back into that kennel.

2 comments:

Christi said...

Brenner, that is so, so sweet! Tear in my eye! I volunteer for CARA here in Jackson, and I just wish everyone would adopt dogs from shelters. Good to hear your story about Riley!

Natalie said...

Aww I remember when Riley was just a brand new member of your family! Sweet thing. My dog Jack (from the shelter) and Riley should be friends.